Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Adventures on the Roof

We have been having dryer troubles lately.  A while back Brock bought me a "new" dryer because it was taking a long time to dry our clothes.  We switched them out, and the new one was working great!  After a while, I started noticing that it was taking a LONG time to dry our clothes and then it just stopped heating one day.  We switched it back out for our old one that was still kind of working.  It was literally taking me about 3 hours to dry every load.  I got our latest utility bill and freaked out that the dryer was making our bill outrageous (come to find out it was really 2 months worth of water and sewer).  So I found a dryer on Craigslist (one that matches my washing machine that I LOVE), and we went and bought it (P.S. I LOVE my "new" dryer!)!  The guy who sold it to us had a business with washers and dryers and educated us on the ins and outs.  Like for instance, did you know that you should check the dryer vent on top of your roof to make sure that it is not covered by a bird's nest or something??

We got home and hooked up our "new" dryer and checked the air circulation (like the guy showed us), and it was not good.  We cleaned out the opening for the dryer hose in the laundry room.  Still bad air flow.  Time to check the dryer vent on the roof.  We didn't have a ladder so after Brock realized that there was really no way for him to get up, brave me decided that Brock should hoist me up.  As I was dangling on the side of the roof I remembered that I'm pretty scared of heights.  During my dangling scene on the roof, our neighbor had come out to observe and question our tactics and unbeknownst to me offer a ladder which my husband politely turned down (Thanks, Brock).

I finally found the dryer vent, and this is what it looked like...
Completely clogged.  I almost thought that it was supposed to be like that it was so hard. 

Meanwhile, Brock couldn't stand that I was having all of the fun on top of the roof.  He backed the suburban up to the garage and hopped on the roof.

Semi cleaned out 

This is what was trapped over the vent.  It felt like cardboard.  It was lint.

Documenting our roof adventures

After cleaning out the dryer vent on top of the roof, Brock and I realized that getting off the roof was a different story. We sat on the edge for 20 minutes trying to figure out how best to get down. I was not ashamed to call our friends to come save us, but he had already refused a ladder from our neighbor saying that the top of our suburban would do. After he decided that it was time to jump I knew that I had to record it. I was so afraid he was going to die.  Seriously, no joke.


And as soon as I stopped recording I was in tears laughing.  We are ridiculous.  But that's why you love us, right? ;)

0 comments: